Scent and Sound
Playing the singing bowls is not only about hearing the different tones, but also about perceiving the vibration that is triggered by singing bowls or gongs. Only this interaction makes it possible for us to leave everyday life behind us and to focus completely on the meditative moment. If you want to appeal to other senses during this time, you can intensify the relaxing effect – by additionally using essential oils to enjoy the tranquility in all its facets and forget the stressful everyday life. The interplay of fragrance and sound complements each other very well. Here we explain how you can usefully incorporate aromatic oils into your everyday life and effectively combine them with sounds and meditation.
What are essential oils?
On the earth you can find countless plants, each of which is a real specialty. They differ in color, size, shape – and also in smell. Of all these plants, a few thousand carry compounds that cannot be guessed by eye. This is also where the word “ethereal” comes from, which translated means “the heavenly”. Essential oils are hidden in the flowers, leaves and even roots of plants. These are volatile substances, not because of their short duration of scent, but because of the rapid dispersal of individual fragrance particles that make essential oils so intense. Originally, plants developed the essential oils to be able to attract insects or repel parasites in this way. But we humans have also found ways to use the effect of essential oils for us. Today, aromatic oils are gently extracted from plants by steam distillation, among other methods, and thus transformed into high-quality fragrance extracts.
What effect can essential oils have?
Through the nose we perceive the essential oils, which are transmitted to the brain with the help of our olfactory sensors and here directly activate the neurotransmitters that release, for example, serotonin or endorphins. Which neurotransmitters are addressed by the transmission of the scent depends primarily on the choice of aroma oil. Essential oils therefore have a calming or invigorating effect, for example – depending on which oil you reach for. However, the release of a wide variety of messenger substances also enables a physical reaction: If the body releases serotonin, one benefits not only from the resulting feeling of well-being, but also from the pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory effect of the messenger substance.
Applied to the skin, essential oils can also unfold their mode of action. If one wears the fragrance on the skin, the perception is often also enhanced. Especially on the parts of the body where you can feel the pulse beat from the outside, an essential oil develops a particularly intense fragrance effect. They penetrate quickly into the tissue and develop their effect directly on the spot. However, allergic reactions may also occur. Therefore, before using essential oils, always test them by putting a drop of oil in the crook of your arm and wait for about 3 hours. If you do not observe any reaction, you can apply the oil drop by drop. It is advised to use essential oil very sparingly, one drop on the skin is enough.
How can sound exercises be combined with essential oils?
Traditionally, many cultures used an interplay of sound and scent. And even today you can take advantage of the effect of essential oils when playing the singing bowls. Probably the best known approach is the placement of a scented fountain in the room, which has been sprinkled with selected essential oils, thus helping to achieve a mental balance. It is also possible to enter even deeper into the relaxation of the sound exercise with the help of scented oils.
Alternatively, you can place directly on your skin a scented cloth, previously sprinkled with a few drops of essential oil. If you place the scent cloth in the head area during a sound massage, for example, it will be easier for you to let go of everyday life and you can focus entirely on your personal relaxation. If you also use a sound couch, you can place the cloth directly on a strut in the head area.
Of course, you can also use a room spray to create a pleasant scent experience while you mindfully play your singing bowls. Here we rely on the essential oils of Primavera, which not only convince with an outstanding intensity, but also directly influence the mood – and thus make your sound meditation an even more beautiful highlight.
Relaxation and yoga exercises with aromatic oil
There are numerous exercises for meditation and yoga, which can be supplemented with an essential aromatic oil. We have summarized the most popular exercises for you here:
- Relaxation exercise for a good night’s sleep: just before falling asleep, place the singing bowl on your stomach and gently begin to beat it. The vibration immediately triggers a relaxing effect that gives you a deep sleep. If you complement this exercise with a scented cloth, which you sprinkle with a few drops of lavender oil beforehand and then place in your head area, an even deeper relaxation will occur.
- Sitting yoga exercise (e.g. lotus seat or rotating seat): First, choose an aroma oil that matches your general mood or evokes the mood you would like to have. Then place a cymbal bowl or other singing bowl at your side. Now put 1-2 drops of the essential oil on the back of your hand and gently rub them into the skin. Now use your hands to draw a roof over your head, working your way down from the top. After that you start to strike the singing bowl.
- Butterfly Asana: Drip a few drops of aromatic oil onto a cloth and place it on your chest. Then lie down with your spine on a roller or bolster, place the soles of your feet together and place your arms at the sides of your body. The singing bowl – preferably a heart bowl for this exercise – stands on your heart area. Now you strike them and enjoy the wonderful mixture of sound and fragrance.
- Footbath with singing bowl: For this exercise you need two oil variations, namely the essential oil and a so-called carrier oil. The carrier oil can be, for example, olive oil, almond oil or avocado oil – it is important that it is a skin-caring oil. You mix the carrier oil with 2 drops of essential oil and put this mixture into a singing bowl filled with water. Now put your feet inside and start to strike the singing bowl from the outside. You will quickly notice that the singing bowl foot bath not only cares for your feet, but also invigorates your senses.
Which fragrance oils are suitable for your sound meditation?
Each essential oil has its own effect on our body. To help you make the right choice for your meditation with singing bowls, we have compiled the most important fragrance oils for you here. We especially recommend the essential oils from Primavera, with which we have also had very good experiences ourselves. You can of course also find these fragrance oils in our online store.
- Lavender fragrance oil: has a calming, antispasmodic, antibacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory effect.
- Eucalyptus fragrance oil: refreshing, clarifying, uplifting, cleanses the air
- Orange fragrance oil: balancing, mood-lifting, refreshing, warm, sweet
- Basil fragrance oil: herbaceous, sweet, fresh, green, uplifting, mood elevating.
- Grapefruit fragrance oil: fruity, fresh, enhances concentration
- Space Clearing fragrance oil: cleansing, neutralizing, liberating
Sound and scent combined – use the effect for yourself!
Essential oils have been used for centuries by various peoples and cultures – and often in conjunction with singing bowls, yoga and meditation. Take advantage of the effect of aromatic oils on your senses and enter a state of deep relaxation, which will become a wonderful experience for you through the interplay of sound, vibration and fragrance.